Sunday, March 30, 2008

Suit Surprise

For your viewing pleasure, scans of a complete 1943-1944 Sears, Roebuck catolog complete with real fabric swatches.

--------------------------------------------------------------
These are the highest resolution I can get. Enjoy.
--------------------------------------------------------------
One of my favorite things in this book is the original owner's scribblings.
Like on page 12 he wants to be a big spender and get a 3-piece suit and extra trou for $50.50!Another thing that surprised me was the almost total lack of cloth rationing. The only rationing I could find was that the trousers seem to lack pleats (though there could be a stylistic reason for this rather than a rationing one) and the comments under trouser style 626 on page 15:"...in keeping with government regulations based on seat measurements..."
Imagine, having government regulations getting into one's trousers!

1 comment:

The Eccentric Orange Gentleman said...

Thanks for the scans. The collection is very interesting. Especially since it gives me a break from my law paper.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails