Thursday, July 30, 2009

1940 Mont. Ward Spring Summer Suits, Part 7

It's been a while so let's get back into this series.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6

Who says you can't use a suit jacket as a sports coat? The suit below was meant to be used this way. The "no suit jacket as sports coat" rule is a modern creation and should be taken with a grain of salt.


Note the pinched front that was a short-lived fad for the youth in the late 1930s and early 1940s and the patch pockets. Also interesting is the shoulder gusset (bi-swing back) lacking a belted back, the two being rather commonly combined during this time period. Four button jacket instead of six like your grandpa's suit.

Also take note of the shipping weight: 5 pounds for a two piece suit. Modern material density and weight (along with the quality) have fallen far from the tree.


click photos to enlarge

Look, another bi-swing back that lacks the belted back. A neat sports coat in the truest sense of the word. Note the green again.
A couple of great collegiate looks for the young beau.

4 comments:

Horatio said...

Oh, how I wish I could order from this catalogue!

Charles H. said...

My kingdom for that tweed sportscoat!
(Long time reader, first time poster here)

Dan D said...

Great finally to see some evidence for the practice of wearing suit jackets as sports coats: I've been doing this for a while in order to make my attire go further and get more wear out of my clothes: there's a recession on, after all! Thanks for this.

Horatio said...

You can wear suit coats as sports coats when they've been cut that way. As I understand it, there is a subtle difference between a sports coat and pair of slacks made from the same material and a suit.

Be that as it may, I think it also depends on the material. I would never wear any of my patterned suit parts as separates, but I might consider it with the plain suits.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails