Friday, February 8, 2008

The Most Flattering

Today I wore my vintage Stetson 3X Open Road fedora. It was originally sold at J.C. Petersens, my great-great grandpa's haberdashery, back in the 1950s.


I was at Wal-Mart with this hat and an older gentleman approached me.
--------------------------------------------------------
Him: Can I ask you a question?
Me: Sure.
Him: Where'd you get that hat?
Me: I bought it at an antique shop.
Him: Really? Well, would you want to sell it?
Me: No, sorry.
Him: Well, I shouldn't wonder why, you look good in it.
Me: Thank you.
Him: They don't make 'em like that anymore.
Me: No, they really don't.
--------------------------------------------------------
Some people can still spot quality when they see it.

3 comments:

michael lewis said...

It seems that just about anyone will offer to buy something unique off of the wearer.

Not to sound like a Seinfeld episode, but I have a pair of prescription glasses which I wear for affectation.

I've had so many offers of purchase, I've lost count.

My favourite, by far, was the time outside a swanky restaurant at the Bellagio in Las Vegas. I was there for a business trip and convention, and my colleagues and I were treated to dinner by our division's VP. A well dressed stranger approached me while we were leaving the restaurant and offered me several hundred dollars for my eye-wear. I politely declined.

Anonymous said...

Great hat! I love a tall crown. This is a nice blog.

Katie from the FL

Matt said...

What a great little story. I was starting to think it would be a much different question, like "Why would you want to wear that old thing?" It feels like I see that attitude a lot from older folks, but maybe it's more baby boomers than the folks who wore fedoras.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails